About Me

My photo
Through my many years of living I have learned that gratitude, generosity, forgiveness and hopefulness are ingredients for a good life well spent.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Magellan

While the world is in turmoil, we seem to be continually struck by the wonder of nature on our hilltop in Northumberland County. Earlier this past summer I was working in the garden when a passing glance saved me from stepping on a small painted turtle. It was huddled in its palm-sized shell, trying to hide on a piece of limestone that edges one of our gardens. 
Although the occasional frog makes its way up our hill from distant marshland across fields of hay and a gravel road, this visitor was a first for us. Perhaps these creatures smell water, however tiny the source. For we have a bathtub-sized pond in our garden. But why trade a large marsh for such a venue. 
I picked up the magnificent creature in my hand. I carefully carried it to this small pond and set it on one of the large waterlily pads. It seemed very happy; but after several days it disappeared. Perhaps wanderlust took it further. I had named it Magellan after another adventurer.

No comments: