About Me

My photo
Through my many years of living I have learned that gratitude, generosity, forgiveness and hopefulness are ingredients for a good life well spent.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

I Saw a Snake Today










I saw a snake on the patio wall
It too saw me standing by
I was filling the cistern with a pale
Because our well’s gone dry.

It feared my presence and turned to flee
Not merely slinking as snakes will do
But leaping airborne to a hidden place
Where only snakes pass through.

Then crossing the courtyard to the barn
Another snake was at the door
It saw me coming to enter in
And scurried beneath the floor.

What creatures lurk beneath my feet
And me above their place
I cannot doubt their right to be
We must all share this wondrous space.

I’ll leave the rocks and soil for them
Disturbing the least I can
To safeguard well their earthen homes
From the carelessness of Man.

But let them stay well hidden there
For though I want them on this earth
It excludes settling my dwelling’s walls
Or resting upon my hearth.

No comments: